Kali Linux 2023.3 Unleashed: Enhanced NetHunter App, Fresh Tools, and More Power for Penetration Testers!
In a significant move for the cybersecurity community, Offensive Security has unleashed Kali Linux 2023.3, the latest iteration of its renowned platform tailored for penetration testing and digital forensics endeavors.
Bolstering the toolkit arsenal
While keeping a vigilant eye on updating existing tools, each new Kali Linux version often introduces an array of potent additions. This release is no exception, bringing forth a lineup of nine novel tools that promise to elevate the capabilities of security professionals:
- Calico – Revolutionizing cloud-native networking and network security practices.
- cri-tools – Unveiling an ensemble of command-line and validation tools optimized for Kubelet Container Runtime Interface.
- Hubble – Casting a spotlight on Network, Service & Security Observability for Kubernetes through innovative eBPF technology.
- ImHex – Empowering reverse engineers, programmers, and night owls with a retina-friendly Hex Editor for those 3 AM coding sessions.
- kustomize – Paving the way for customizable Kubernetes YAML configurations.
- Rekono – Uniting a suite of hacking tools into an automation platform for streamlined pentesting workflows.
- rz-ghidra – Seamlessly integrating the deep Ghidra decompiler and sleigh disassembler into the rizin environment.
- unblob – Liberating files from diverse container formats, transcending boundaries.
- Villain – A C2 framework that redefines reverse shell handling, amplifies their functionality, and encourages cross-instance sharing.
Revamped Kali NetHunter Experience
Marking a pivotal moment in the evolution of Kali Linux, version 2023.3 presents a rejuvenated Kali NetHunter app coupled with a completely revamped NetHunter Terminal. The kernel landscape for Kali NetHunter also embraces notable transformations, including:
- Compatibility with LG V20 for Lineage 19.1
- Nexus 6P’s integration with Android 8.0 (Oreo)
- Introduction of compatibility for Nothing Phone (1) on Android 12 (Snow cone) and 13 (Tiramisu)
- Pixel 3/XL’s adaptation to Android 13 (Tiramisu)
- Samsung Galaxy A7’s alignment with LineageOS 18.1
- Xiaomi Mi A3’s engagement with Lineage 20
- Xiaomi Redmi 4/4X’s partnership with VoltageOS 2.5
Empowering with Kali Autopilot
Elevating the automation game, Kali Autopilot takes center stage as an automated attack framework. This “AutoPwner” parallel follows pre-defined “attack scenarios,” featuring a GUI tool for crafting attacks and generating accompanying attack scripts. Whether in manual operation or as a service, Kali Autopilot emerges with an overhauled GUI, supplemented by a multitude of novel functionalities. An intuitive web API interface further augments remote control capabilities.
Further Enhancements and Offerings
Beyond the headlining updates, Kali Linux 2023.3 boasts several enhancements, including:
- Seamlessly incorporating Pipewire support for Hyper-V when in enhanced session mode.
- Introducing kali-hidpi-mode to cater to Kali-Purple enthusiasts.
- Simplifying the installation process for Kali-Purple, eliminating the need for post-installation commands.
- Spotting the regal presence of a purple menu icon within Kali-Purple.